WHAT MUST ONE DO TO BE SAVED?
I. RECOGNIZE THE FACT THAT YOU ARE LOST.
No one will make an effort to escape danger until he recognizes the fact that he is in danger. God’s Word shows the danger of being lost.
- “For there is not a just man upon earth, that doeth good, and sinneth not.” Ecclesiastes 7:20.
- “For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God,” Romans 3:23.
II. RECOGNIZE THAT JESUS DIED AS YOUR SUBSTITUTE.
- “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life,” John 3:16
- “For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him,” 2 Corinthians 5:21.
- “Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree,” Galatians 3:13.
- “Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed,” 1 Peter 2:24.
III. REPENT TOWARD GOD, WITH GENUINE SORROW FOR THE FACT THAT YOU ARE A SINNER.
- “Repent ye . . . But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees come to his baptism, he said unto them, O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come? Bring forth therefore fruits meet for repentance,” Matthew 3:2, 7, 8.
- “Except ye repent, ye shall all . . . perish,” Luke 13:3.
- “For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death,” 2 Corinthians 7:10.
IV. ASK GOD TO SAVE YOU, TO FORGIVE YOUR SIN FOR JESUS’ SAKE, AND TRUST (BELIEVE) WHOLEHEARTEDLY THAT HE WILL.
- “Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved,” Acts 16:31.
- “The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach; that if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation . . . For whosever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved,” Romans 10:8-10, 13
V. WHEN SHOULD YOU BE SAVED?
- “Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation,” 2 Corinthians 6:2.
VI. WHAT CAUSES ONE TO BE LOST?
- “He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God,” John 3:18.
- “He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him,” John 3:36